Attention mapping enthusiasts!
“Maps play many roles. Including helping people understand and travel, helping cities manage growth and control crime, and helping nations defend themselves and get along. By making our own maps we can plan vacations, tell stories, and guide strangers. Mapping is a tool for discovering, organizing, and communicating. We need to appreciate the map’s uses and limitations.” – Dr. Mark Monmonier, Professor of Geography, Syracuse University, and AGS Councilor
The American Geographical Society (AGS) is pleased to announce the AGS Monthly Mapping Contest. Submissions are now being accepted.
The map should tell the story of a place. It should provide information or insight pertaining to a specific area or location. These places can range from remote environments to urban landscapes. The map can tell a story of migration, demographics, transformation, transportation, etc.
Submissions will be accepted from the 1st – 20th of every month. The status of each submission will be determined between the 27th – 31st of every month. The winner will then be posted on the AGS website and social media platforms.
- Be creative. Maps can be used to describe virtually any subject or topic.
- When possible, please include the following cartographic elements: title, credits, legend, north arrow, border.
- The map may be created using any software or may be hand drawn.
- All data used to create the map must be publically accessible or verifiable.
- All maps must be created by an individual (no group work) and must be the original work of the submitter.
- The map may not be the product of commercial work and cannot be currently for sale in any way.
- The map must not have been awarded any previous awards or won any other major contests.
- We will accept only one map entry per individual contestant per month.
- The map may not contain or display any inappropriate content, including but not limited to excessively violent imagery, vulgar language, or sexual content.
- The map cannot infringe upon any individual personal rights or copyrighted materials in any way.
Map Submission Requirements:
- Accepted file extensions: .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png (for static maps).
- URLs (for interactive maps).
- Maps must be smaller than 10MB.
- Parental Consent Form if you are under the age of 18.
Winners will receive:
- A signed AGS certificate.
- A mapping GeoBadge.
- Promotion on AGS social media and monthly newsletter.
- Public recognition from our readers.
The submitter will retain the rights to his or her maps; however, by submitting your work to AGS, you agree to the following terms: You grant AGS a royalty-free, perpetual license to publicly display the map in any media now existing or later developed, for purposes including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of AGS and its website. All maps reproduced will include the mapper’s credit as it is feasible.